Inspired

I took a vacation day today and spent time at the Art Museum.  I walked through and sketched in the Kano, Japanese exhibit.  The works are incredibly sensitive to light so they are rotating the collection every 3-4 weeks.  I was so fascinated by the ink drawings of trees, the bold dark lines with subtle shading.  I also loved the more intricate works and can see how some of the impressionists were inspired by Japanese art; there were impressions of mountains, clouds, flowers, etc.

After the Kano exhibit I wandered through the museum to visit some of my favorite pieces.


Van Gogh painted this from his window while he was at the clinic of Saint-Paul-de-Mausolée.  This brought me to tears.  Though I have seen it before, it gets me every single time.

This Monet is so incredible, the light and color caught my eye and I just stood and stared at it for a while.

I've always loved the colors in this one.  I always tend to use dark colors when I paint, so I envy his use of these bright gorgeous colors.


I revisited Sunflowers by van Gogh and did some sketching.  I love that he was not shy with his brush strokes and wasn't concerned by the fact that we can see where the brush touched the canvas, leaving brushstrokes in the paint.

I was focused on this part of the painting and sketched it.

I've always loved this Duchamp, Nude descending a staircase.  

Of late, actually since seeing several of his works at Centre Pompidou in Paris, I have been really into Kandinski.  

Same goes for Joan Miró after seeing many of his pieces at Reina Sofía in Madrid.


I sketched both of these sculptures.  I love them.  The top is Seated Female Nude by Raymond Duchamp-Villon.  And below: Mademoiselle Pogary by Constantin Brancusi.


It was a good day.  I feel inspired and plan to do some painting this weekend.

Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts